Lab Area: 790 Sqfeet
Room Number: EC 202
Lab Faculty: Er Vinay Kumar
Lab Instructor: Mr SR Maurya
Lab Staff: Mrs Sarita Devi
- REC 651-Microwave Engineering Lab
- EC 651-Antenna & Microwave Lab
- EC 751-Microwave & Fiber Optics Lab
LIST OF EXPERIMENTS
REC 651 - ANTENNA AND MICROWAVE LAB
1. To study the microwave test bench.
2. To study the characteristics of reflex klystron tube and to determine its electronic
3. To determine the frequency and wavelength in a rectangular waveguide working on
TE 01 mode.
4. To study measurement of reflection coefficient and standing wave ratio using double
5. To study V-I characteristic of Gunn diode.
6. To measure polar pattern and gain of a waveguide antenna.
7. To study 3 element Yagi-Uda antenna and to calculate beam-width, front / back ratio,
and gain of the antenna.
8. To study 5 element Yagi-Uda antenna and to calculate beam-width, front / back ratio,
and gain of the antenna.
9. To study simple dipole antenna and to calculate beam-width, front / back ratio, and
gain of the antenna.
10. To study folded dipole antenna and to calculate beam-width, front / back ratio, and gain
of the antenna.
11. To study phase array end-fire antenna and to calculate beam-width, front / back ratio,
and gain of the antenna.
12. To study broadside array antenna and to calculate beam-width, front / back ratio, and
gain of the antenna.
Course Beyond the Syllabus:
1. Introduction to waveguide simulation using CST Microwave Studio Software.
2. Introduction to Antenna Design Using IE3D Software.
3. To simulate and analyse a simple rectangular microstrip antenna of L = 20 mm and
W=10 mm. Assume the value of dielectric constant = 2.2 and substrate thickness of
List of Recent Equipment
DIGITAL STORAGE OSCILLOSCOPE WITH FUNCTION GENERATOR
Digital Storage Oscilloscope 50MHz, Two-channel, 1GSa/s sample rate, 100Kpts record length, 50000 wfrm/s update rate, Vertical sensitivity - 500µV to 10V/Div, with in-built 20 MHz function generator with 20V pp amplitude for Square, pulse, ramp and 12Vpp for sine wave, AM, FM & FSK Modulation feature, >80 dB dynamic range of Frequency Response analysis with Logarithmic overlaid gain and phase plot feature should be available, lab guide, tutorials and content on Oscilloscope fundamentals, Built – in digital voltmeter and frequency counter, Input Impedance- 1 MΩ ± 2%/16 pF ±3 pF, Display size 7 inch or more, waveform math includes Add, subtract, multiply, divide, FFT (magnitude and phase), low pass filter available, inbuilt array of training signals with lab guide, manufacturer should have NABL accredited service and Calibration lab in India, USB Interface with compatible software to connect and control the instrument and to build custom test sequence with the integrated test flow app to automate and visualize test result without the need for instrument programming, 2 Passive.Probe should be provided with oscilloscope and have selectable 10:1 and 1:1 attenuation. Warranty at least 3 – years
KLYSTRON POWER SUPPLY
Beam Supply 195-400 V continuously variable Current 45mA Max Regulation Better than 0.5% for ± Variation in mains Supply Voltage Ripple Less than 5mV rms Repeller Supply -10 V to -300 DC continuously variable with respect to Klystron cathode 0-25% for ± Variation in mains Supply Heater Supply 6.3V DC (regulated). Modulation: Square Wave Frequency 500Hz-1.7 KHz Max Amp.+ 110 V p-p, Saw tooth Frequency 50Hz-196 Hz Max Amp.- 60 V p-p. Operating Voltage 230V+10%, 50 Hz, A.C Short Circuit Protection.Toggle switch for Beam Voltage Variation Saw tooth wave output External Input. Should be single transformer 4 type different PCB for manufacture SKPS.
Freq. Range (GHz) 8.2-12.4 Flange UG-39/U Waveguide RG-52/U
2k25 or equivalent
FREQUENCY METER, DIRECT READING
Frequency Range (GHz) 8.2-12.4 Calibration Accuracy +2 Calibration Increment (MHz) 10 VSWR Max. 1.02
WAVE GUIDE DETECTOR
Frequency range 8.2-12.4(ghz)detector in-21 output connector BNC(f)
Frequency Range (GHz) 8.2-12.4 Flange UG-39/U Waveguide RG-52/U VSWR Max. 1.02 Type fixed
VSWR METER, SOLID STATE
Range 70 dB in 10 dB and 2 dB steps. Meter scale SWR 1-4,SWR 3-10, expanded SWR1- 1.3, dB 0-10 expanded dB 0-2,4,6,8. Input Unbiased low and high impedance crystal, biased crystal (200 Ώ & 200K) low and high current bolometer (4.5 & 8.7 mA) (200 ohms). Sensitivity 0.2 µv for full scale deflection at maximum bandwidth on low impedance crystal input Input Frequency 1Khz adjustable + by front panel control Gain control Adjust the reference level, variable range 0-10db approx Amplifier Output 0.03 Vrms into at least 10K ohms, output connector BNC Recorder Output 0-1 V DC ,Output Connector, Banana Socket. Band Width-Variable 25 Hz to 110 Hz. Calibration Square law, meter indicate SWR, dB.
Material perfex Waveguide WR-90 Flange UG-39/U
SLOTTED ANTENNA NARROW WALL
Waveguide WR-90 Flange UG-39/U Length:220mm Slot length:14.56mm
SLOTTED ANTENNA BROAD WALL
Waveguide WR-90 Flange UG-39/U Length:220mm
DIGITAL GUNN POWER SUPPLY
Voltage Range 0 to 12 volts variable Current 1 Amp. Max Modulation Freq. 1 KHz + 20% ( 900-1100 Hz).Regulation 0.2±10% variation in the Mains Supply Voltage Ripple 1m Vrms
Frequency Range (GHz) 8.2-12.4 Flange UG-39/U Waveguide RG-52/U Pushing fac.(MHz/V)-8 Bias V. Max-10v Normal Power Output-10 Temperature Coeff. (MHZ)- ±0.2 Frequency Adjustment-by Micron meter
PIN DIODE MODULATOR
Frequency Range (GHz) 8.2-12.4 Flange UG-39/U Waveguide RG-52/U Output Connector TNC
Frequency Range (GHz) 8.2-12.4 Flange UG-39/U Waveguide RG-52/U
MICROPROCESSOR BASED TURN TABLE WITH SOFTWARE
Step angle = 1° Variable gain = 10dB, Sensitivity = 5 mV PC software based on Visual Basic, Power readings in dB, Angle in degree. Readings saved in excel file as Angle V/S power. Online graph radial pattern, 0 to -70 dB. Connectivity through COM port as well as through USB to serial converter. Home and scan buttons on the screen. Automatically detects Home and Far limits. Facility to calibrate before the actual scan. Square wave input from the detector Motor used for rotation – Synchronous Motor
PART I : MICRO STRIP COMPONENTS
Freq. range 4- 6 GHz
Substrate – Neltek
Dielectric constant : 3.2
- Low Pass Filter- LPF-910C
- Band Pass Filter- BPF-915C
- Bandstop Filter- BSF-920C
- Ring Resonator- RR-925C
- Branch line Coupler- BLC-930C
- Hybrid Ring coupler- HRC-935C
- Parallel Coupled line Couplerm- PCLC-940C
- Power divider –I (without chip resistor)- PD-945C
- Power divider –II (with chip resistor)- PD-950C
- Patch Antenna-I- PA-955C
- Patch antenna-II- PA-960C
- Microwave Amplifier- AMP-965C
- Microstrip Transmission line- MTL-975
PART II : C-BAND SOURCE & DETECTOR
(Freq. range 4-6 GHz)
- C-band source with power supply- SSS-980C
- Detector- MD-985C
- Coupler- MC-995C
- Active Filter- AF-900C
PART III : ACCESSORIES
- Universal Testing Jig- UTZ-970
- 50 Ohm termination
- Attenuator – 6 dB
- RF Cable SMA to SMA (9”)
- SMA to BNC Cable
- V.S.W.R. Meter
- Source to Detector biasing cable